On September 28th and 29th, the 3rd Vienna Congress for Production Engineering (WPK) with the key note topic "Adaptive & Smart Manufacturing" took place amidst the impressive scenery of the Hofburg Vienna.
On the first evening of the congress and on the occassion of the conference dinner in the Vienna Technical Museum, it was possible to visit a special exhibition of selected items from Professor Altmütter's tool collection.
The conclusion of the congress was marked by the Institute for Production Engineering and Laser Technology's 200 Years Jubilee Celebration in the grand Kuppelsaal of the TU Wien. During the celebration, a special musical interlude by a band consisting of robots making music on their own - the "One Love Machine Band" surprised the guests.
Come Together in the TUtheSky
Congress in the Hofburg Vienna
Conference Dinner in the Vienna Technical Museum
200 Years Jubilee Celebration in the Kuppelsaal of the TU Wien
Production process of the IFT ball pen
This calls for a celebration:
200 Years Jubilee
The Institute for Production Engineering and Laser Technology of the TU Wien can look back on a history rich in tradition. From the very beginning of the Imperial Royal Polytechnic Institute in 1815, a course in "Empirical Technology" was introduced as a fundamental subject in the Engineering Department of the Polytechnic Institute and soon thereafter renamed "Mechanical Technology".
Georg Altmütter, Professor of Mechanical Technology as of 1816, is considered the founder of the systematic science of tools. Together with his student Karl Karmarsch and with Johann Joseph von Prechtl, he authored the "Technological Encyclopaedia", of which 25 volumes were published between 1830 and 1869.